Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Celebrating the Holidays Prog Style

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Solstice, and of course Happy Festivus fellow progheads!  I want to be all inclusive this holiday season so as to wish everyone  sincere seasons greetings no matter how you choose to celebrate!  I appreciate your taking time in the middle of this hectic holiday rush to spend a few moments with me here in the Closet Concert Arena.

If you have followed this blog long enough you know I am loathe to write a "best of" column to wrap up the year. While I respect those who do put one together, I find they tend to be subjective, personal, and usually leave someone out...resulting in fans of a particular band or artist feeling slighted.  I would much rather applaud every band and artist for producing all the great progressive music we have enjoyed here in the Closet Concert Arena during 2015 as well as those I may have missed.  I know my search for all things prog unearthed some true gems these past 52 weeks, but I am not naive enough to believe I found all there was to find...at least I hope I didn't...

So to finish 2015 in style and bring in 2016 with a flourish I thought it would be fun to listen to some progressive holiday music.  So grab a mug of whatever warms you up, sit back, relax, and enjoy...

To open the celebration I chose a favorite with a twist; Greg Lake's  "I Believe in Father Christmas." This is a live version recorded in London with Ian Anderson on flute, David Arch on keyboards, and Florian Opahle on acoustic guitar...and the St. Bride's Church Choir backing them up.  A beautiful piece of music; the guitar floats on that flute like the first dusting of Christmas snow...



Moving down the holiday buffet line, I came across a song that surprised me when I first heard it...but have since come to appreciate.  Dream Theater's rendition of "O Holy Night" starts out slow and gentle like one would expect--until the "Professors of Prog Metal" quickly put their stamp on it. James LaBrie nails the vocals and Mike Portnoy stomps on the edge of burying the entire piece with drumming--but ultimately keeps his ego in check.  I like that this song is played hard because the message is so pure and real.



This next song is one I have only heard a few times yet I believe is one of the better versions recorded; Jon Anderson performing "I Saw Three Ships."  Anderson's vocals are unmistakable, the drum/percussion work fits like a pair of warm slippers, and the keyboards slide right through the entire piece like the silky smooth caramels Santa leaves in your stocking...


We have time for a few more, so let us listen next to a song that is beautiful in its own right but taken to a new level of magnificence; "O Come All Ye Faithful" performed by keyboard master Rick Wakeman.  I don't know that I could add anything of value to the music, so please wrap yourself in this like you would your favorite blanket...



My final selection for this holiday season is a piece of music that is as traditional for me at Christmas as "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" is at Thanksgiving.  King Crimson fans know Robert Fripp has
re-invented himself more times than the Energizer Bunny and always seems to come through a better, years-ahead-of-his-time version of himself.  This was recorded during his Frippertronics days and is quite a stirring rendition of "Silent Night."  Please to enjoy...



As this is my last post for 2015, I would like to sincerely thank you my faithful followers for making the Closet Concert Arena a joy to write.  Listening to and reviewing great prog music is the best therapy, extremely fun, and quite a blessing.  I also need to applaud all the bands whose music I was honored to review these past twelve months.  The Concert Closet traveled to--in no particular order--Norway, Sweden, Italy, England, France, Germany, Portugal, Argentina, Latvia, Mexico, Greece, Spain, Peru, Scotland, and Canada.  I also managed to spend some quality time checking out local bands here in the United States; logged lots of frequent flyer miles and put a hurtin' on my GPS...

For me the pleasures are twofold.  First, the experience of listening to and hearing some absolutely fantastic progressive rock from new, up and coming, and well established bands is nothing short of a Utopian experience for me.  Watching the prog garden flourish and expand has been rewarding as well...knowing that the genre continues to reach new fans is part of my motivation.  Second, the opportunity to talk with bands and artists about how they go about their craft and what makes them tick...for someone who was only able to master playing the stereo, this truly is a treat.

Of course all of this is moot if not for you my faithful followers.  Look for more interviews, new bands, new releases from established bands and artists, and a few surprises as we move into the unknown that is 2016.  As the prog garden expands, so too will the approach the Closet Concert Arena takes to presenting it to you the listener.

I sincerely wish everyone reading this the Happiest Holiday season--no matter how you bang that drum.  I hope to see you all back here in the Closet Concert Arena when I return January 12th, 2016...until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment